Sunday, June 10, 2012

Sugar Scare Part II

The Mr. and I have completed our 21 day cleanse (aka Daniel Fast)! For those of you reading the Mr. and I gave up sugar, alcohol, all breads and meat & fish for 21 days. We ate only fruits/veggies/nuts and beans for 3 solid weeks. We only drank water. Yikes....I know. During the first week, I felt extremely lethargic and woke up craving chocolate, jelly beans, candy...you name the sweet my mouth watered for it. Week two was still extremely hard. I had no energy and was turned off by the smells of food..it was extremely odd. By the end of the week, I finally started gaining energy. Week three was a breeze. I had more energy, lost all of my cravings and felt rejuvenated.

Today was back to the regular diet. I went to Starbucks excited for my green-tea latte and also made a wonderful blueberry cobbler. This afternoon...I was sick as a dog. I felt awful. The sugar was too much, and it honestly made me feel heavy and bloated.

Like the last post, sugar is in everything! We don't need any extra sugar and by tasting the blueberry cobbler today, I've realized that it wasn't enjoyable after the fact.

Dinner is below. The Mr. and I are excited to reduce our sugar/bread and alcohol intake completely. Removing these extras for 21 days allowed me to taste real food. Real food is good!

Items I'm permanently removing from my diet:
Meat
Butter
Fake butter (aka-yogurt butter, smartbalance, etc.)
Bread (only whole grains, aka Sammy bread is great)
Cereal (only Ezekiel Cereal:flax seed, grains, etc.)
All Dairy 


I'm really excited about our lifestyle change.  Although the fast was one of the hardest things I've ever done, it was extremely rewarding. Who knows....(sigh) maybe with this post I can inspire someone to dive into their kitchen and reevaluate the food your putting in your body!
I'm out...
XOXO,
The Mrs.

No comments:

Post a Comment